Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Storm Chasing 2008

It's time. After six years of missing the chase season every May, I am finally heading back to the great plains to chase some of the most amazing storms mother nature can produce. My timing seems to be good, as the convective outlooks for the next 6 days indicate a potential for severe weather over the great plains, the ideal chase location. Nothing but flat land and big sky as far as the eye can see!

There is a slow moving low pressure system sandwiched between a deep trough which is bringing warm moist air from the gulf into the plains where it will collide with cold dry rocky-mountain air. I don't think I have chased such an ideal system before. And this time I have some help... as I will be taking Pete Reynolds and Bruce Spike with me. No more solo chasing.

I leave this afternoon for Kansas, but stopping tonight somewhere in Iowa to get a good nights rest. My target area is Hays, Kansas where the dry-line is expected to hit right around 4pm tomorrow. It's gonna be a lot of driving to get there at storm time, but we can do it. Stay tuned to this blog for daily updates on our adventure.